In this class, we’ll make our own hand-bound 4″x4″ art journal out of illustration board using a fun and easy binding stitch that will have you wanting to make minis all day long! This little book is also perfect for making mini scrapbooks or gift books. Once we’ve made the book, we’ll explore various embossing, stenciling, and mixed media techniques as we decorate the covers and work on the inside pages.
Students Should Bring:
- A basic mixed media kit (gesso, craft mat, water cup, baby wipes, scissors, pen and pencil, paper towels.)
- Matte medium and a brush or tool to apply it
- Several colors of acrylic paint and a 1″ flat paint brush
- A few colors of permanent stamp pads (I prefer Staz-On, usually in brown and black)
- Sponges and / or brushes for stenciling with both ink and paint (I like the long Dina Wakley bristle brushes for paint and Tim Holtz Mini Blending Tools for ink)
- A few of your favorite stencils and stamps (I’ll also have some on hand.) Be sure to include background / texture images.
- A selection of patterned paper and / or collage and ephemera to decorate and fill your book.
- An awl and self-healing mat (there will be some available, but if you bring your own you won’t have to share.)
- Heat gun (for embossing – the Ranger heat tool isn’t strong enough)
- Embossing ink pad – I like VersaMark (I also use the VersaMarker a lot)
- Washi tape
- Black gesso
- Any other mark making tools or mediums you want to use in your book (ie paint pens, watercolor crayons or pencils, etc…)
- A few embellishments for your cover